Earth-Friendly, Natural, and Unique.
Sisal carpet is growing in popularity in the greater Cape Cod, Plymouth, Barnstable, Falmouth because of its rustic look and its eco-friendliness. The carpets are made from the fibers of a cactus-like plant called Agave sisalana, cultivated in arid regions around the world. Once the leaves are harvested, the fibers are extracted, cut, dried, and treated to produce twine that can then be woven into rugs. There are many possibilities in terms of the weave pattern. Just like hemp and coir, sisal provides durability that most synthetic materials can’t match.
Benefits of sisal carpet:
- It’s naturally stain-resistant and doesn’t require any chemical treatments that may be harmful to children and pets.
- It repels dust and static electricity.
- It’s naturally flame-retardant.
- It can be combined with other natural fibers, such as wool or sea grass, to create different textures and colors.
Precautions for sisal carpet:
- Sisal does not do well with moisture and should be avoided in a mudroom or bathroom.
- It can feel rough underfoot compared to traditional carpet materials, making it less comfortable to sit or lie on for prolonged periods.
- It is prone to color-fading, especially with prolonged exposure to sunlight.
Let the experts at Floor Coverings International of Cape Cod help you find a sisal carpet that’s just right for you and your space. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation. We proudly serve the greater Cape Cod, Plymouth, Barnstable, Falmouth.